School Counseling at Coe
The School Counselor at Coe Elementary works to nurture students and provide for them the necessary academic and life skills that will prepare them for successful citizenship at school and beyond. Counseling support is an essential part of education for students at all grade levels.
The counseling department helps to support the social and emotional well being for all students at Coe. School counselors provide support by collaborating with educators, families, and the community to maximize every student’s potential. The counselor is committed to promoting a safe, welcoming environment where academics and healthy relationships are nurtured to promote lifelong learning and global citizenship.
Counseling Program Goals
- To reduce barriers to academic success by working to eliminate factors which may be getting in way of learning and creativity (hunger, clothing, changes at home, or unhealthy relationships).
- To provide social and emotional support by helping students develop social competencies through one on one counseling, group counseling, and classroom guidance lessons.
- Classroom Guidance Lessons: to help students work on skill development, communication, problem solving, bullying, friendship, emotion management and more.
- Small Group Counseling: to expand, enrich, and reinforce specific skills in areas such as social skills, emotion management, divorce support, and school success.
- Individual Counseling: to address specific needs of individuals who may need additional support or be in crisis.
- Academic Problem Solving
- Connecting Families to Community and Mental Health Resources
- Collaborating with Teachers
- Collaborating with Families
- Assisting with Student Council
- Assisting with School Transitions
- School-wide Anti-Bullying Efforts
How to Access Services
Anyone can access or request services for a student if concerns arise. Those who typically refer students to the counselor are:
- Students (self-refer)
How? Simply call or email with your concern.
Why might families contact the counselor?
There are many common challenges that students experience as they make their way through elementary school. Our counseling program aims to assist with these issues and to alleviate the struggle that kids undergo. We believe that when people feel better, they do better! At Coe the counseling program helps to make today a little easier, which makes the week a little easier, and then the month and whole school year. We help students break down their struggles so that they feel in control and can be the change they want to see in their life.